Use Online Resources for Research
You may begin your research with browsing the list of Online Databases & Periodicals for academic /scholarly papers on the NRC website. You can access e-books at https://nift.ac.in/nrc/ebooks and also use multiple Open Access Resources. Please visit the online public access catalogue of books of your Resource Centre via https://eg4.nic.in/NIFT/OPAC/Default.aspx for searching books and other learning resources. The catalogues of theses, dissertations and graduation research projects are also accessible through the same web link.
Online Writing Assistant
You can use the popular AI powered digital writing tool Grammarly for writing your assignments, research papers, dissertation and thesis. This software ensures that your writing is free of grammatical errors by offering real-time feedback on choice of words and style of writing. Grammarly also checks your document for plagiarism. Please contact your Resource centre for registration.
Citing your sources of information is an essential part of research as it authenticates your research findings and adds academic value to your writings. The practice of citing the print or electronic sources you refer to in a list of references or/and bibliography also helps you to avoid plagiarism.
Harvard Referencing Style
NIFT recommends using the Harvard referencing style for writing thesis for its PhD programme. The Harvard style of citation is also known as “author-date” style and has multiple variations. You may refer to the BIS standard IS 2381: 2014 for the basic rules with examples for in-text referencing and list of references in the preferred Harvard system. You may also use the Harvard Referencing Generator for citing documents in the preferred citation style.
Other Citation Styles
Other leading citation styles for referencing in a research paper, article or book chapter are listed below:
All the subscribed online databases of NIFT include citation tools for generating citations in multiple styles such as AMA, APA, Chicago, Harvard, MLA and others. The number of citation styles supported by each database varies. The databases of the aggregators such as Ebscohost and Proquest also offer facilities to generate citations in Harvard referencing style. Please select the cite option displayed on the screen to generate references in the desired style for your list of references or bibliography.
You may also use the quick citation generators listed below to get references in multiple citation styles. However, it is always advisable to check the results of the citation generators for accuracy before using the same in your writings.
Some popular open citation generators are listed below:
What is plagiarism? Please visit http://www.plagiarism.org for details.
Ouriginal ( earlier known as Urkund) anti-plagiarism system is used in all the NIFT campuses. Please contact the Research cell or the concerned department of your campus to use the anti-plagiarism system.
Other Research Support Services
All the Resource Centres (RCs) provide the following services to support the students in their research work: ·
- Students, research scholars and faculty can approach the library through email, phone or Social Media apps for help in their research. You can also approach the Resource Centre professional staff in person for queries related to your research topics.
- Support and guidance to write research reports such as, dissertations, theses, internship reports, etc., are provided on request.
- Topical/subject bibliographies of books and e-Books in the Campus library are compiled on request. Lists of relevant articles/research papers and other resources are also provided on request.
- Help to access full text electronic academic papers/articles provided by the staff of the Resource Centres, whenever requested.
- Books and other documents from other libraries are also arranged through inter- library loan facilities such as DELNET by specific RCs.
- Proactive alert services from select online databases are also set up for the researchers.